Thursday, August 13, 2009

Proper Advice

You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves. - Galileo -

This quotation is really true. When a person seek advice to other person, it is a must not to suggest on what should the other person do. Counseling is not more on giving ways to do instead it is a matter of letting the person think on some possibilities for him to think it over and work it out.

Just like for example in this situation:

Person A is asking help to Person B about what should the better course he should take in college.

Person A would probably say:

I have a problem. I am confuse on what should I get from college. What is the course that I will take? My parents wanted me to be a nurse but I don't want to because I can't be able to reach its standard. I don't have the proper memory and I know nursing takes a lot of memorization, remembering those medical terms and terminologies. I want to be a teacher but the problem is when I graduate, do I find a better job with high salary? My sister wanted me to become a computer programming engineer because I will get high salaries from a company and it is the most high tech course now because all of the systems now take the use of a computer. What should I really get in college?

With the long manifestations of Person A, Person B will just say:

What do you really want in college?
Gather the advantages and disadvantages from all of those courses that was mention and if one finds lots of advantages, then go for it. Remember, it is you who would decide after all because you are the one who is taking the risk in school and not them.

So this is the proper way of giving advice to someone. Do not gamble and waste your time giving options that would of course, make the other person (ex. Person A) not to follow them. It is best that you will serve as a guide to them, not as the holder of their lives and plans.

In this way, Person A will then clearly decide on what is proper and the best for him.

0 comments: