Friday, November 19, 2010

Guest written by our friend Jamie Gross

Written in letters, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is the story of a fifteen year-old named Charlie. It begins with him writing to someone hes never met based on the respect gained for this person through things hes overheard. Using generic names because he doesnt want this person to find him he writes to them because in his own words during the first letter, he writes “I just need to know that someone out there listens and understands…” and due to this need, he continues writing throughout the year.

Though he begins the year without friends he meets two seniors, Patrick and Sam, at a football game and they quickly become close. This is one of those rare friendships that when “I feel infinite” is spoken while riding to a party; you understand that it’s a lifelong friendship.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a touching and heartfelt look into the life of a deeply sensitive boy who is trying to find his place in the world and to understand why he is the way he is. This is my favorite book because I enjoy the deep feelings and thoughts within.

I’ve loved the escape that books provide for years, and find that when I need to put down a book I slip into that same type of escape with my Best Choice TV.

0 comments: