Tuesday, June 15, 2010

This guest post was written by Grant Parks

I enjoy the freedom of selection when watching direct tv packages with my daughter. Our favorite show to watch would be SpongeBob SquarePants. The show is about a sponge that lives in the ocean with an array of critters. These critters range from a starfish, octopus, to even a crab or a whale.

SpongeBob SquarePants is a children's show that also provides some insight into some real issues in modern society. While watching the actions of fictional characters, my daughter gains knowledge of things that range from simply economics, to even sociological ethics and morals that will help her to take the right paths in life. I mainly enjoy watching this show with my daughter simply because I know that it is a show that will teach her things, but not overload her with subliminal meanings and such.

While containing many underlying themes, SpongeBob SquarePants brings a sense of fun and enjoyment to the learning process. My daughter is nine years old and cannot possibly comprehend half of the underlying lessons that come with the show. However, my daughter has begun showing signs of values, ethics, morals, and knowledge of sociological norms since she began watching the show. All in all, SpongeBob SquarePants is a great show that has many underlying themes and lessons that can be enjoyed by an older gentleman such as myself, as well as a young daughter with no prior knowledge of sociological knowledge.

0 comments: